I adapted the recipe here to my needs. The original author does not seem to use sauerkraut, but I only know it with sauerkraut and a Polish colleague confirmed that Kapuśniak requires sauerkraut. Alas, here’s the recipe adjusted by me.
Preparation time: 30 Minuten
Cooking time: 40 Minuten
Ingredients for 4 portions
- 2 liters of water
- veggie broth cubes for 1.5 liter water (was three cubes in my case)
- 1 kg of sauerkraut (that’s the gross weight, I pressed the fluid out as much as I could)
- 2 medium-sized carrots
- 2 medium-sized onions
- 200 g bacon (smoked)
- 4 big potatoes, I took 500 g
- spices: “sweet pepper” (see this), thyme, caraway, salt, pepper
- Boil the water until the broth cubes are dissolved. Chop potatoes and carrots into small cubes and add to the broth. Let cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the sauerkraut to the broth.
- Cut bacon to pieces and fry in pan.
- Chop onions and add to the bacon, fry a little more.
- Add bacon and onions to the stew, use spices and salt to taste, let cook for a few more minutes at low heat.